Work with us
Post-doctoral research fellow, emlyon business school’s InvEnt Research Center
The Entrepreneurship and Innovation Research Center (“InvEnt”) at emlyon business school is looking to fill a 2-year funded post-doctoral position starting in the Fall 2023 or in Spring 2024.
This post-doctoral position provides a promising scholar with excellent opportunities to move forward her/his own research and start new projects, advancing her/his career by working with experienced scholars. Previous post-doctoral fellows succeeded in publishing in the top journals of our field and were hired by leading schools in France and abroad.
Our research center offers a supportive, collegial, and dynamic environment. The members of the center meet regularly to discuss research, attend and organize invited talks and workshops, and mentor PhDs, DBAs, and junior faculty members. The InvEnt Research Center brings together researchers interested in innovation, entrepreneurship, social innovation/entrepreneurship, and entrepreneurial finance.
InvEnt members are very research active. We are intellectually and methodologically open and pluralistic. We believe that excellent research can be done with different methods and theoretical backgrounds. Our research has been published in outlets such as: Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Administrative Science Quarterly, American Journal of Sociology, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Journal of Business Venturing, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Management, Management Science, Organization Science, Organization Studies, Research Policy, Small Business Economics, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, and Strategic Management Journal. Several members of the center have editorial experience.
The position is based in Lyon. Our campus is currently located in nearby Écully, but we will move to a new, modern campus in Gerland (center of Lyon) in 2024. Lyon is a supremely livable and affordable city.
The post-doctoral research fellow we are looking for is passionate about research, energetic, and open minded. Responsibilities include conducting high-quality research, taking active part in research center activities, and assisting in the organization of seminars, workshops, and in promoting the center’s activities on social media as well as on its own website (https://www.eship.em-lyon.com/). Teaching is not required, but possible. The working language is English; knowledge of French is convenient but not required.
We will prioritize candidates with a demonstrated interest in one (or more) of the following research areas in which members of the group are actively engaged:
- Place and entrepreneurship: How does place shape people’s entrepreneurial ambition and outcomes through such pathways as place attachment, place-based categories, space, and communities?
- Socio-ecological transitions: How do social enterprises support the transition to ecological communities and what are the effects of different practices that integrate social, ecological, and economic sustainability on communities?
- Policy, regulation, & new venture dynamics: How do policy and regulation affect new venture outcomes (creation, survival, growth, exit) and innovation ecosystems?
We will consider candidates with methodological expertise in either quantitative or qualitative methods, or both.
The successful candidate needs to have a PhD in a relevant field before starting the post-doc contract. The successful candidate will benefit from at least one faculty mentor, to help develop the candidate’s own academic career, over the two-year period. She/he will also receive budget support for research and travel, the same excellent health care plan as faculty, and a salary that is competitive with other top European business schools.
The application package should consist of the following documents (merged in a single PDF file):
- A cover letter explaining your research agenda and motivation to join our team
- An up-to-date CV mentioning names, affiliations, and e-mail addresses of 3 referees
- A sample of your research (up to 3 published papers and/or working papers)
The Recruiting Committee consists of:
- Prof. Saulo Dubard Barbosa (chair): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. Pia Arenius: email@example.com
- Assistant prof. Christof Brandtner: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant prof. Ahmed Maged Nofal: email@example.com
Members of the committee will be available for informal meetings at the Academy of Management meeting in Boston. If you wish to request a meeting, please contact us before July 31, 2023.
We will accept applications until the position is filled. Review of applications begins on September 15, 2023. Early applications are strongly encouraged.